You may keep up with your regular cleanings and dental work but emergencies can and do happen. How you handle them can make all the difference. Your first step is to make sure your dentist offers emergency dentistry in Detroit so you know you’re covered if something happens after hours.
Here are some common emergencies and what to do about them.
- Lost fillings: If you lose a ceramic or silver filling, chew up a piece of sugarless gum and stick it on top of the tooth. Alternatively, you can try some over the counter dental cement. Call your dentist ASAP to get an appointment. Leaving the tooth exposed could lead to infection.
- Abscess: An abscess is an infection at the root of the tooth, and is a condition that needs immediate attention. You need treatment as soon as possible to prevent the infection from getting out of control. Rinse with warm, salty water regularly while waiting to see your dentist.
- Broken brackets: If you experience a broken bracket, wire or brace, use the tip of a pencil eraser to push it back into place. Wax also works to cover pointy metal that may be jabbing the sides of your mouth. Call to get the problem repaired right away. Letting these issues go too long can result in prolonged treatment.
- Knocked-out tooth: Recover the tooth, holding it by the crown rather than the root. Rinse it off and try to place it back in the gum. Hold it there until you can get to your dentist. If you can’t, store it in a cup of milk, which will preserve the root.
- Toothache: This can be very painful. Take an over the counter pain reliever or use a cold compress. If you suspect a piece of food is causing your toothache, use some floss to try and dislodge it. Otherwise, it could be a more serious problem that needs immediate attention.
- Chipped or broken tooth: If you can, save the chipped piece of the affected tooth and place it in a baggie to bring to the dentist. Rinse your mouth with warm water. If bleeding, apply gauze, then use a cold compress to keep the swelling down.
Any emergency should be treated with the utmost care and attention. Here at Redwood Dental, we offer superior Southeast Michigan emergency dental services that address your issue quickly and efficiently. Call us today at 1 (800) 462-2222 to book your appointment or ask questions.