Invisible Braces for a Clear Smile
When you think of braces, you may automatically think of the cumbersome metal ones you wore as a kid. While metal wires are still used in many dental offices today, here at Redwood Dental, we only use Invisalign® clear aligners. This is an increasingly popular alternative over traditional metal braces that has many people excited about improving their smile because it’s less invasive.
These clear aligners are comprised of nearly invisible polyurethane plastic and they are not cemented or bonded to the teeth like metal or clear braces are. The best part is, they are removable, so you can take them out when you want to eat, brush, floss or go out for social occasions. It can be hard to resist taking them out for more than is advised by your dentist, so you’ll have to be a bit more disciplined in their consistent use if you want to go this route.
Benefits of Invisalign
Check out these benefits of the Invisalign system:
- Better Oral Health: With a removal orthodontic appliance, you can keep your teeth much cleaner than you would with metal braces, especially in those nooks and crannies.
- Increased Variety of Food and Drink Options: With metal wires, you have to be careful about what you eat and drink. With invisible braces, you can still eat your favorite foods, such as popcorn, apples or crispy pizza.
- Increased Comfort: Because you’re wearing just a thin, flexible material, no irritation occurs to the soft tissues of the mouth. Just imagine: no poking or prodding!
- Discreet Appearance: Invisalign is a practical approach to braces, one that won’t cramp your style – which is an especially important consideration for older teens and adults. Most times, no one knows you’re wearing them!
- Guard Against Teeth Grinding: If you tend to grind or clench your teeth, clear aligners act as night guards to protect your teeth from gradual wear.
Clear aligner technology has come a long way over the years, with the ability to fix a number of malocclusions that previously would have only been corrected by traditional metal braces. That being said, there are some people who just don’t make good candidates for Invisalign. Your dentist will give you a complete oral exam and then speak with you to discuss your candidacy.
Most Insurance Accepted Including:
Caring for Your Teeth
Because you can remove the trays for cleaning, it’s easier than ever to maintain your oral health. Don’t forget to brush your teeth after every meal to prevent buildup of food and plaque that can get stuck in the aligners and lead to tooth decay or gum disease. Clean the aligners themselves by brushing them with a simple toothbrush and warm water. Don’t ever put them in the dishwasher because they can warp.
Once you are done your aligner treatment, a custom retainer will be made for you to wear at night. Wear as prescribed by your dentist for the best results. You don’t want to ruin the investment you made in your new smile!
Invisalign clear aligners have the same end goal as standard metal braces: to move the teeth into optimal position through the application of carefully controlled forces. Specialized computer software will help design a plan for the alignment, broken down into many stages. You will get new aligners with each stage, one for the top set of teeth and one for the bottom.
Expect to wear the first set of trays for two weeks, for at least 20 hours per day (22 hours is recommended). Move onto the next set when finished, and so on and so on.
Contact Us Today at Redwood Dental
To learn more about the process in detail, and to find out whether Invisalign is for you, please call Redwood Dental today at 800-462-2222. We can schedule your consultation and oral exam to get you started on the path to a straighter, brighter smile!